Ketosis is a natural metabolic process through which your body burns fat and loss weight. One of the first requirements to start burning fat is to reduce your carbohydrate intake. As a result, you force the body to enter a metabolic process called ketosis.
During ketosis, the body is forced to burn fat as a source of energy. This can be either fat that is stored in the body or fat that you eat.
When this happens, the liver starts producing ketone bodies. They are responsible for the energy of the heart and brain.
1. Reduce the number of carbohydrates you eat
The first step to burning excess fat is to reduce the consumption of carbohydrates to a minimum. You should not eat more than 15-20 grams per day.
In this way, your body cannot use glucose or sugar as an energy source. It then goes into another state where it gets the energy it needs to function from the fatty acids and fats that have accumulated.
In this process, glycogen ceases to be a reserve and begins to be the main source of energy. Your body begins to use it for daily tasks.
You will feel tired and in a bad mood for the first few days. This is part of the adaptation to reduced carbohydrate intake.
2. Add coconut oil to your diet to burn excess fat
- This oil contains fats called medium-chain triglycerides. They are quickly absorbed.
- The liver converts these fats into ketones, which are a good source of energy.
- This oil contains lauric acid, which is given to children with epilepsy. This helps kick-start ketosis without having to cut back on carbs.
3. Add healthy fats to your food list
Another step to burning excess fat is healthy fats in your daily diet. They include:
- olive oil
- coconut oil
Just remember that you have to balance their amount. If you want to lose weight, the abuse of fats causes an increase in daily calorie intake.
In addition, the fats you choose must be as natural as possible.
4. Increase the amount of protein in your diet
The need for it is related to the fact that the liver receives amino acids through the digestion of proteins. These amino acids are necessary to obtain glucose, which is needed to convert ketones into useful energy.
At the same time, protein is a vital part of the muscle movement that occurs during weight loss, because, through the process of burning excess fat, you can also lose muscle mass.
Benefits of ketosis
- You lose weight quickly by using stored fat as an energy source. However, this is not as dramatic when compared to a low-carb diet.
- This helps to better metabolize carbohydrates that are gradually added to the diet.
- With ketosis, your body learns to use fat more efficiently. This effect can be maintained over time.
- Ketosis has a satisfactory effect. Anxiety levels that drive us to eat are reduced. This is because you are adding more healthy fats to your daily diet.
A side effect of burning fat with this diet
Burning fat can be something to worry about, but it’s worth keeping in mind that all diets come with some risks.
Although the ketosis diet is natural, it teaches you how to eat well. It can also lead to side effects caused by the changes that need to be made in the diet.
The most common side effects are dizziness and headache. This side effect may occur on the third day. This happens because your brain needs glucose.
Also, ketones can cause some changes when they start working. The adaptation process sometimes causes dizziness when standing up or moving quickly:
- Bad breath or a metallic taste in the mouth. This is due to a large number of ketone bodies in your body, which in this way burn excess fat.
- The strong stench from urine. This is caused by the release of ketones in the urine.
- Excessive sweating. Similar to urine, sweating too much is one way to eliminate ketone bodies from the body.
- Loss of calcium. There is a relationship between high protein intake and urinary calcium loss.
This is due to the number of acids needed to digest proteins. To avoid this problem, you must take calcium supplements.
Picture Credit: Unsplash